The Hester Hornbrook Academy (the Academy) is an Independent School, run by Melbourne City Mission (MCM), that provides programs for young people who have or are at risk of, disengaging with education. The Academy offers the VCAL at Foundation, Intermediate and Senior levels, additionally, students have access to a range of VET courses enabling them to gain hands-on skills in visual art, business, community services, music and hospitality.
The Assistant Principal is a senior leader sitting within the Hester Hornbook Academy (HHA) and Melbourne City Mission (MCM) and is responsible for the delivery of the education program within the school and other MCM contexts. This responsibility includes developing and refining the pedagogical framework and ensuring high quality teaching, learning and curriculum delivery to set the path to achieve the best possible outcomes for the students.
The Assistant Principal leads development of and advises in areas relating to curriculum, student programs, and major decision making related to the Academy’s education processes. The position also has responsibility of policy development, implementation and ongoing compliance to maintain high quality as an Independent School. As a key member of the Academy leadership team, the role contributes to leadership planning and decision making by offering a strategic overview to the necessary requirements for high quality teaching and learning.
The Assistant Principal works alongside and manages a professional and talented staff team. All programs within the portfolio are coordinated within designated areas/regions that support young people participating in education. This role will ensure that a high quality and consistency of service is achieved across all areas.
The Assistant Principal is responsible for positioning MCM within the education, and particularly ‘flexible’ education sector as a valued voice speaking from evidence, experience and practice. This role is also responsible for leading the planning and strategic development of significant flexible learning initiatives.
Duties of the role may include but are not limited to:
- Provide leadership to a diverse management team.
- Initiate, participate in, and contribute to the development of a range of collaborative networks, partnerships and activities to strengthen service user outcomes, service system approaches and community capacity.
- In collaboration with other managers, provide leadership, employee development, and professional support to Educators.
- Facilitate the operation of client centred and community building models of service delivery in the area of education, training and transitions.
- Lead curriculum design and support the Academy’s Educators to ensure a high-quality delivery conducive to sector leading practice.
- Support in identifying, designing and delivering (or facilitating) professional development for Educators.
- Support with the implementation of strategic initiatives in education and training in line with the MCM and HHA Strategic Plans.
- Contribute to development, review and implementation of school policies and procedures that meet strategic goals and legal compliance obligations.
- Manage the implementation, quality and reporting relating to all education programs.
- Ensure that all quality compliance and risk management is adhered to as per applicable legislation, policies, procedures, guidelines and service standards.
- Participate in and facilitate staff meetings, debriefing, supervision, training, professional learning opportunities and forums.
- Contribute to a culture with the Academy leadership of continuous review and improvement.
- Work with Coordinators and Managers to plan and manage staff recruitment, provide staff supervision and team development within MCM procedures.
- Ensure that Academy programs are delivered within the framework of MCM’s policies and procedures, legislative requirements, and meet the relevant service standards.
The Hester Hornbrook Academy is committed to child safety. As such, the successful applicant will be expected to satisfy child protection screening, and adhere to the School’s Child Safe Policy and Code of Conduct.
Melbourne City Mission has engaged Hutton Consulting Australia to assist with the search and selection process for this position. For a confidential discussion regarding the application process and to obtain the full position description please contact Fiona Hutton on 0499 000 973 or email email@example.com or Dr Amanda Samson on 0433 356 911 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close on Friday 6th December, 5.00pm